Roll sessions are open to the university, and greater public, as a chance to practice skills in a controlled pool environment with lifeguards. The Outdoor Program provides 2 student instructors in the pool for those who are wanting to learn the basic biomechanics of kayak rolling or paddling (private instruction is not provided). Canoes and sea kayaks are welcome, however our instructors are only prepared to teach the whitewater kayak roll. We have a limited supply of kayaks, paddles, sprayskirts, life jackets and helmets availabe for anyone to use. Or, bring your own gear to practice with and enjoy!
When: Wednesday's during the Fall and Spring Semester
- August 22nd, 29th
- September 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th
- October 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st
- November 7th, 14th, 28th
- Time: 7:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
- Location: Student Recreation Center Pool
- UNC Asheville Cost: FREE for all UNC Asheville students, staff and faculty with OneCard
- Community Cost: $10 cash or check (includes the use of equipment, please bring your ID/License)
- Rules for the Pool: We like a clean pool. Please hose off personal boats before getting in the pool (we provide a hose at the pool). On busy nights, there is a 20 boat maximum in the pool.
- Rules for Playboating: Playboat in the deep end only, and please wear a helmet (we are happy to provide you one).
- Rules for Minors: Any community boater under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult chaperon that remains on site. Any boater under 13 years of age must be accompanied in the pool by an adult chaperon, providing one-on-one supervision. Boaters under 13 must fit in gear properly in order to boat. UNC Asheville has limited small equipment and does not have youth specific boating equipment. Feel free to bring your own and start those paddlers early!
- We are open in SRC 204, every Fall and Spring, Monday - Friday 12 p.m.-4 p.m.