Outdoor Leadership Training Program, 2018-2019 Participant Resources
OLTP Student Supervisors
- Winter Training: Caroline and Alex!
- Spring Training: TBD
OLTP Pro Staff
January 2019 and April 2019 there will be opportunities for successful OLTP participants to apply for office and trip leader positions with Outdoor Programs. January is often refered to as fast-track hiring for those ready to master the checklist. April is a good option for those who wish to gain a little more time and experience. Hiring is available to all OLTP participants, as well as other students with wilderness medicine training and significant outdoor leadership experience.
In order to be considered for hire in January 2019:
- Email your pro staff trip leader (Phil or Leah) by Thursday, January 10th at 12:00pm with your interest in applying and include 3 suggested times you can meet according to their Google Calendars (Phil's Calendar and Leah's Calendar). One hour appointments are available the first week of school only, with a deadline of noon on Friday 1/18 for completing interviews.
- By Midnight on Sunday, January 13th, email your pro staff your reponses to the essay questions, found below.
- Attend your appointment ready to teach all materials on the checklist. You must print and bring your own checklist, all completed required materials including your RMP, menu and packing lists, and your essay responses printed.
- Final hiring decisions will be made at the end of the day, Friday, January 18th. New hires will be invited to attend an optional weekend training with other state schools on 1/25-27, and a mandatory training on 2/2, as well as other events later in the semester.
- New hires will be eligible to train and work in the office, apprentice trips, attend staff trainings, and continue working on sport specific checklists to become eligible to lead more trips (including pre-rendezblue).
In order to be considered for hire in April 2019:
Participants who desire to work more on their skills are invited to schedule appointments to work on the backpacking checklists between January 28th and February 15th. (It is recommended that all participants work with their pro staff in a timely fashion after the trip to complete their checklists, regardless of desire for hire.) Essays responses will be due by a given date in April. Winter backpacking checklist completion must be completed by 2/15 for sake of relevancy. Checklist review and completion is not offered after 2/15.