If you are at least 16 years old and a proficient swimmer, you can become an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor. This approximately 30-hour course will help you teach skills that may save a life, gain terrific work experience as an aquatics professional, earn money or join a volunteer team while you help people learn valuable skills. In addition you will learn organizational and presentation skills that will help you in any career and make a difference in people’s lives. Whether you want to splash around with kids and teach them to swim, help children and adults refine their strokes or teach diving safety techniques, you can do it as an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor.
Please note: This course is not designed to teach you to swim. A moderate ability at swimming is required for Water Safety Instructor Candidates, but your swim strokes do not have to be swim team quality.
American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Courses
- 2 year American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification
- Minimum age of 16 by the last day of class. Proof of your age will be required ( such as a valid driver's license).
- An online training and orientation to the American Red Cross prior to the first class meeting.
The following swimming skills must be demonstrated before the first day of class and be consistent with the Level 4 Stroke Performance Charts:
- Front Crawl - 25 yards
- Back Crawl - 25 yards
- Breaststroke - 25 yards
- Elementary backstroke - 25 yards
- Sidestroke - 25 yards
- Butterfly - 15 yards
- Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute (using breaststroke, rotary, or scissor kick - no flutter kick allowed)
This course is a blended learning class and will require participants to do online activities before each class meeting.
Cost: $200 for OneCard holders; $215 for Community members.
Upcoming Water Safety Instructor Class Schedule
|**Fall 2018 dates coming Summer 2018!|
To participate in the course, you must be registered. Register for the Water Safety Instructor class.
For questions, please contact email@example.com. Course length: 25-30 hours, including required online work