Outdoor Leadership Training Program, 2017-2018 Participant Resources
OLTP Student Supervisors
- Winter Training: Lindsey and Cade!
- Spring Training: TBD
OLTP Pro Staff
January 2018 and April 2018 there will be opportunities for successful OLTP participants to apply for office and trip leader positions with Outdoor Programs. January is often refered to as fast-track hiring for those ready to master the checklist. April is a good option for those who wish to gain a little more time and experience. Hiring is only available to currently enrolled OLTP participants.
In order to be considered for hire in January 2018:
- Email your pro staff trip leader (Phil or Leah) by Thursday, January 11th at 3:30pm with your interest in applying and include 3 suggested times you can meet according to their Google Calendars (Phil's Calendar and Leah's Calendar). One hour appointments are available the first three days of school only, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- By Midnight on Monday, January 15th, email your pro staff your reponses to the essay questions, found below.
- Attend your appointment ready to teach all materials on the checklist. Please print and bring your own checklist, all completed required materials including your RMP, menu and packing lists, and your essay responses printed.
- Final hiring decisions will be made at the end of the day, Thursday, January 18th. New hires will be required to attend trainings on 1/18, 9-11pm; 1/21, 9am-9pm, optional weekend 1/26-28 and other events later in the semester.
- New hires will be eligible to train and work in the office, apprentice trips, attend staff trainings, and continue working on sport specific checklists to become eligible to lead more trips (including pre-rendezblue).
In order to be considered for hire in April 2017:
Participants who desire to work more on their skills are invited to schedule appointments to work on the backpacking checklists between January 29th and February 16th. (It is recommended that all participants work with their pro staff in a timely fashion after the trip to complete their checklists, regardless of desire for hire.) Essays responses will be due by a given date in April. Winter backpacking checklist completion must be completed by 2/16 for sake of relevancy. Checklist review and completion is not offered after 2/16.
Winter Backpacking Training
The following information has not been updated for Fall 2015 (LM, 12/5/2015)
Outdoor Leadership Training Program Schedule - Fall 2014
Foundation Series (Each topic offered is repeated twice. Attend just one night per topic. Complete our Google form to let us know when to expect you.)
History & Philosphy of Outdoor Education, Campus Recreation, and its Outdoor Program
- Thursday, October 9th, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. - Location: SHE 406
- Wednesday, November, 5th, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. - Location: SHE 402
Risk Management in the Wilderness
- Thursday, October 30th, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. - Location: SHE 406
- Wednesday, November 19th, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. - Location: SHE 407
Group Dynamics and Leadership in Outdoor Programming
- Tuesday, October 14th, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. - Location: SHE 406
- Wednesday, November 12th, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. - Location: SHE 402
Amercian Red Cross CPR/AED and WrFA Medical Training
- Wednesday, December 10th, 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Location SHE 402
- Thursday - Friday, December 11th-12th, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. - Location SHE 402
OLTP WrFA & Backpacking Training registration deadline is Nov. 3rd.
- Pre-trip Meeting #1 Thursday, November 20th, 9 p.m. - 10:30 p.m. - Location: SHE 402
- Pre-trip Meeting #2 Thursday, December 4th, 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. - Location: SRC 205
- Backpacking begins Saturday, December 12th, 9 a.m. - 17th, 5 p.m. - Location: SRC 108
OLTP Rock & Water Spring Break
- *Kayaking Only - Pick ANY Wednesday Roll Session prior to Febrauary 26th, 7:30 - 9:30 p.m. - SRC Pool
- Pre-trip meeting #1 Thursday, February 26th, 9 p.m. - 10:30 p.m. - Location: SHE 402
- Pre-trip meeting #2 Thursday, March 5th, 8 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. - Location: SRC Court 2
- Training begins Saturday, March 7th, 9.a.m. - Thursday, March 12th, 5 p.m. - Location: SRC Lobby
OLTP Advanced Rock OR Water Clinics - COMING SOON!
- Swift Water Rescue Clinic: Saturday, April 11th-12th, 9:00a.m. - Location: SRC
- Rock Climbing Systems & Anchors Clinic: Saturday, April 18th-19th, 8 a.m. - Location: SRC