Higher Education for Today's Outdoor Leaders and Educators
FULL OLTP and Winter Trip registration is closed. Please use the online registration to get on the wait list.
OLTP Info Sessions
Presentation of the full program, plus Q&A.
- Thursday, September 5th: 5 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. - Location: HIG Mountain Suite 224
- Tuesday, September 10th: 5 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. - Location: HIG Mountain Suite 224
- Tuesday, September 24th: 12:15 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. - Location: SRC 205
What is the Outdoor Leadership Training Program? (OLTP)
CHECK OUT OUR BROCHURE
The purpose of the Outdoor Leadership Training Program (OLTP) is to empower students to choose their own path in becoming a leader and progressing their outdoor leadership skills. By offering two methods of registration, students are able to fully customize their experience and are able to progress at the speed and depth that they find appropriate for their college experience. The OLTP provides cutting edge classes that will train you to be a competent outdoor trip leader and instructor. Additionally, the OLTP is required of all the Campus Recreation Outdoor Programs trip leaders.
Flexibile methods of joining OLTP include: 1) Pay for the entire program from the beginning and you are covered for all events! OR 2) Pay as you go. Register online for only the events you are interested in attending and paying for. NOTE: To be considered for an Outdoor Leader position with Campus Recreation the entire program must be successfully completed.
OLTP starts with Foundations, which provides a basis and a framework for becoming an outdoor educator and trip leader with Campus Recreation Outdoor Programs. The schedule below provides a list of the three Foundational classes which are comprised of 1.) History & Philosphy of Outdoor Education, Campus Recreation, and Outdoor Programs, 2.) Risk in the Wilderness Setting, 3.) Group Dynamics & Leadership in Outdoor Programming
REGISTER NOW - Fall 2013 OLTP Foundations and Training Series OR for the enitre OLTP.
Outdoor Leadership Training Program Schedule - Fall 2013
Foundation Series (Each topic offered is repeated twice, register and attend just one night per topic)
History & Philosphy of Outdoor Education, Campus Recreation, and it's Outdoor Program
- Tuesday, October 15th, 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. - Location: SHE 406
- Thursday, November, 14th, 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. - Location: SHE 402
Risk Management in the Wilderness
- Tuesday, October 29th, 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. - Location: SHE 406
- Wednesday, November 20th, 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. - Location: SHE 407
Group Dynamics and Leadership in Outdoor Programming
- Tuesday, October 22nd, 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. - Location: SHE 406
- Wednesday, November 13th, 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. - Location: SHE 402
Amercian Red Cross CPR and AED Medical Training (attend only 1 of the classes below as part of the Full OLTP program or the Winter Backpacking Training)
- Monday, November 11th, 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. - Location SRC 205
- Tuesday, November 12th, 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. - Location SRC 205
OLTP WFA & Backpacking registration deadline is Nov. 8th.
- Pre-trip Meeting #1 Thursday, November 21st, 9 p.m. - 10:30 p.m. - Location: SHE 402
- Pre-trip Meeting #2 Thursday, December 5th, 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m. - Location: SHE 402
- Training begins Wednesday, December 11th, 9 a.m. - 18th, 5 p.m. - Location: SHE 402
OLTP Rock & Water Spring Break
- Pre-trip meeting #1 ANY Wedneday prior to Febrauary 27th, 8 - 10 p.m. - SRC Pool
- Pre-trip meeting #2 Thursday, February 27th, 9 p.m. - 10:30 p.m. - Location: TBD
- Training begins Saturday, March 8th, 9.m. - Thursday, March 13th, 5 p.m. - Location: TBD
OLTP Advanced Rock OR Water Clinics
- Swift Water Rescue Clinic: Saturday, April 5th-6th, 9:00a.m. - Location: SRC
- Rock Climbing Systems & Anchors Clinic: Saturday, April 12th-13th, 8 a.m. - Location: SRC
So how do I get involved?
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Stop by: SRC 202
Registeration for the program begin soon!
What will I experience in training with Outdoor Programs?
- AMGA and ACA certified staff
- Customized Training
- Strong Support Structure
- Great Value
- Possibility of getting paid to lead trips
All skill level and abilities welcome
Do I need to register for the whole program?
Nope. The great thing about the OLTP is that you can pace yourself! All of the courses are stand alone and have no pre-requisites. You can sign up for one or all of them. We do, however, require that you take the 3 Foundation Series classes and participate in the full Training Series if you want to be eligible to lead trips for us.